Prahran estate renewal
Renewal of the Prahran housing estate
In 2010 the Australian Government funded the Victorian Government to construct 188 new homes on the corner of Malvern and Surrey Roads, South Yarra at a cost of $62 million.
As part of this funding agreement, the Victorian Government, through the Department of Health & Human Services, is required to develop and deliver a masterplan to guide future renewal of the Horace Petty estate. In August 2013, the Victorian Government expanded the masterplan to include the smaller estates in the precinct at Bangs, King and Essex streets, Prahran.
What is a masterplan?
A masterplan is a document that outlines a long-term vision to guide development and growth of a community. The masterplan for Prahran’s housing estates is also called the Prahran renewal plan.
What is included in the Prahran renewal plan?
The Department of Health & Human Services is developing a masterplan to guide long-term physical renewal of Prahran’s housing estates. The plan will be a guide for future designs to improve housing, outdoor areas and facilities and to help increase the supply of well-located affordable housing.
The plan shows:
- Which buildings and features should be retained
- The locations and height ranges of any new buildings
- How streets, paths and spaces would be connected, within the site and with surrounding precincts
- The suggested relationships between buildings and outdoor spaces
- The activities and uses which could take place within the site.
The goal of the Prahran renewal plan is to create a sustainable and well-integrated neighbourhood where residents can thrive.
Have your say
Since 2011, the Department of Health & Human Services has conducted two phases of consultation with the Prahran community to prepare a masterplan for the renewal of Prahran’s housing estates. The masterplan has now been prepared.
We want your feedback on the masterplan before it is submitted for approval to the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning.
From 22 August to 18 September 2015, you are invited to have your say on the plan.
Submissions close 5pm on Friday 18 September 2015.
For session times and ways to be involved, download the invitation:
- Prahran renewal plan phase 3 consultation invitation (PDF 514 KB)
- Prahran renewal plan phase 3 consultation invitation (Word 15KB)
Attend a drop-in display session or a facilitated forum to discuss the plan and provide your feedback. Consultation facilitators and project staff will guide you through the material and answer your questions. This will help you understand the plan and provide more informed and effective feedback.
Consultation materials are available in A3 hard copy at all consultation sessions or can be downloaded on the Prahran renewal plan consultation materials page on this site.
View the reports from previous consultations on the Prahran renewal plan reports page on this site.
- Masterplan for Prahran housing estates fact sheet August 2015 (doc 791.5 KB)
- Prahran renewal plan frequently asked questions August 2015 (doc 802.5 KB)
- Masterplan for Prahran housing estates fact sheet August 2015 (PDF 175.7 KB)
- Prahran renewal plan frequently asked questions August 2015 (PDF 193.1 KB)
- Prahran renewal plan phase 3 consultation invitation (doc 790.5 KB)
- Prahran renewal plan phase 3 consultation invitation (PDF 513.7 KB)
- Prahran renewal plan consultation materials 2015