Neighbourhood Renewal is an approach that brings together the resources and ideas of residents, governments, businesses and community groups to tackle disadvantage in areas with concentrations of public housing.
To narrow the gap between some of the most disadvantaged communities in Victoria and the rest of the State, Neighbourhood Renewal is:
- lifting employment and learning opportunities and expanding local economies
- enhancing housing and the physical environment
- improving personal safety and reducing crime
- promoting health and wellbeing
- increasing access to services and improving government responsiveness
- increasing people’s pride and participation in their community.
Neighbourhood Renewal is not only about improving our public housing estates. It is transforming whole streets and neighbourhoods – creating vibrant places where people want to live.
The renewal is making a difference because it builds on experience about what really works in changing the circumstances of disadvantaged communities in Australia and around the world.