Bar None education - Bar None Community Awareness Kit for Schools
The Bar None Community Awareness Kit for Schools provides information and curriculum support for teachers. It helps teachers to:
- Enhance their knowledge and understanding of disability
- Create a welcoming, inclusive school community
- Foster a culture of openness and discussion around disability.
The kit includes information, a DVD, curriculum units, a train the trainer module and a guest speaker database.
The DVD showcases a number of young people with a disability. It also shows their families, teachers and principals. It highlights the skills, aspirations and contributions that all students with a disability make to their school and wider communities. The Curriculum Units and Train the Trainer Module reference the DVD. Speak to your Principal regarding the location of the DVD in your school.
Teacher information booklet
The teacher information booklet provides teachers with general information and aims for a broad-brush understanding of some key issues related to disability. This includes key statistics, definitions and some suggestions for practical ways to create welcoming classrooms.
The 15 curriculum units are mapped to the Victorian Essential Learning Standards. They include practical and engaging classroom activities for teachers to incorporate into their teaching and learning programs. The units target teachers of Prep to Year 8. But there are ideas and techniques that can be used by all teachers.
- Curriculum Units Introduction (PDF 182kB – opens new window)
- Curriculum Units Introduction (Word 104kB – opens new window)
- VELS Level 1 - Prep (PDF 1.01MB – opens new window)
- VELS Level 1 - Prep (Word 85kB – opens new window)
- VELS Level 2 - Years 1 & 2 (PDF 1.08MB – opens new window)
- VELS Level 2 - Years 1 & 2 (Word 88kB – opens new window)
- VELS Level 3 - Years 3 & 4 (PDF 2.02MB – opens new window)
- VELS Level 3 - Years 3 & 4 (Word 2MB – opens new window)
- VELS Level 4 - Years 5 & 6 (PDF 1.2MB – opens new window)
- VELS Level 4 - Years 5 & 6 (Word 1.3kB – opens new window)
- VELS Level 5 - Years 7 & 8 (PDF 1.2 MB – opens new window)
- VELS Level 5 - Years 7 & 8 (Word 119kB – opens new window)
Train the Trainer module
The Train the Trainer module provides teachers with support regarding the use and practical application of the kit. It is recognised by the Victorian Institute of Teaching. It references the standards of professional practice for renewal of registration.
Guest speaker database
The guest speaker database provides contact details of organisations who visit schools to speak on disability in general or specific impairment types.