Child safe standards resources
Victoria has introduced compulsory minimum standards for organisations that provide services for children to help protect children from abuse. The child safe standards will apply to organisations from 1 January 2016.
Education, awareness raising and helping organisations to create and maintain child safe environments will be the initial focus of the child safe standards.
More information about the child safe standards, including the types of organisations in scope, can be found on the Child safe standards page on this site.
Information sessions about the child safe standards
Information sessions about the child safe standards were delivered from October - December 2015.
A PowerPoint presentation from the information sessions is available for download.
It is intended that further information and training sessions will be held from early 2016.
Survey to register your interest
Please complete this survey to register your interest in attending an information session on the child safe standards.
Overview of the Victorian child safe standards
An overview of the Victorian child safe standards has information to assist organisations understand the requirements of each of the child safe standards, including examples of measures they can put in place and a self-audit tool: An overview of the Victorian child safe standards (doc 433KB)
Child safe standard toolkit
The child safe standards toolkit for organisations includes tools and templates that organisations can download and use and adapt:
- Resource 1: Good leadership and governance in child safe organisations
- Resource 2: Child safe policy and statement of commitment (including sample child safe policy and statement of commitment to child safety)
- Resource 3: Code of conduct (including sample code of conduct)
- Resource 4: Human resources practices for child safe organisations
- Resource 5: Recruitment practices for child safe organisations
- Resource 6: What to do when an allegation of child abuse is made
- Resource 7: Sample incident report template
Additional tools will be available in 2016, including risk management tools.
For further information about the Betrayal of Trust Inquiry response, please visit the Department of Justice and Regulation website, or the Child sexual abuse prevention and response page on this site.
Organisations can contact the Department of Health and Human Services for further information about the child safe standards:
Telephone: (03) 9096 0000
Registered schools can contact the Department of Education and Training:
Early childhood services operating under the National Quality Framework or Children's Services Act 1996 should contact:
Licensed children's services enquiry line: 1300 307 415
Download the documents
- Child safe standards presentation (ppt 1.3 MB)
- Resource 1 - Good leadership and governance in child safe organisations (doc 55.5 KB)
- Resource 2 - Child safe policy and statement of commitment (doc 70.5 KB)
- Resource 3 - Code of conduct (including sample code of conduct) (doc 59.0 KB)
- Resource 4 - Human resources practices for child safe organisations (doc 61.5 KB)
- Resource 5 - Recruitment practices for child safe organisations (doc 83.0 KB)
- Resource 6 - What to do when an allegation of child abuse is made (doc 65.5 KB)
- Resource 7 - Sample incident report template (doc 68.0 KB)