Why retain employees?
Employee retention can produce many benefits including:
Benefits to your organisation
Significant cost savings
- The cost of turning over a staff position can be anywhere between one third and three quarters of a persons annual salary cost.
- Reduces down time.
- Limits the cost of having experienced staff redirected to mentor / buddy the new worker until they are confident and competent in their role.
- Limits the secondary costs associated with other staff leaving due to lost relationships and new and changed dynamics.
Improved quality and productivity
- Ensures a reliable knowledge base regarding the organisations processes, policies and procedures and alignment with the organisations culture.
- Improves work efficiency.
- Establishes good work safety practices.
- Ensures continuing consumer service.
Positive staff morale and satisfaction
- Reduces absenteeism.
- Facilitates a productive work energy.
- Increases staff loyalty to the organisation and consumers.
- Facilitates the potential for valuable contribution to the organisation.
Benefits to your clients
- Ensures the consumer has continuity with staff who understand their needs and are able to meet their requirements.
Benefits to your employees
Ongoing development of skills and knowledge
- Improves staff capacity to contribute to, and develop, work practices, procedures and quality.
- Provides opportunity for career development and the building of sustainability and the knowledge base in the organisation.
Continuity of employment
- Reduces the stress associated with moving between employers.
- Facilitates the development of satisfying relationships with consumers, colleagues and management.
Positive organisational culture and values
- Facilitates a sense of belonging and security and encourages new recruits.
The material on this page has been adapted from the Home and Community Care (HACC) Community Care Worker Human Resources Kit 2007 (external link - opens in a new window).
Supported by the Community Sector Investment Fund (external link - opens in a new window).