Skip to main content
Victorian government website
State Government of Victoria, Australia
Funded Agency Channel

Licences and permits

Types of licences

VicRoads issues seven categories of driver's licences:

Common licence types include:

  • Car - for vehicles not exceeding 4.5 tonnes Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM)* and seating up to 12 adults including the driver.
  • Light Rigid - for rigid vehicles including buses and trucks greater than 4.5 tonnes GVM but equal to or less than 8 tonnes GVM or a vehicle seating more than 12 adults including the driver with a GVM equal to or less than 8 tonnes.
  • Medium Rigid - for any two axle rigid vehicle including bus and truck greater than 8 tonnes GVM.

* Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) is the maximum loaded mass of the vehicle as specified by the vehicle's manufacturer.

Heavy vehicle accreditation

A heavy vehicle endorsement allows the licensee to drive a truck or bus greater than 4.5 tonnes GVM. The endorsement is added to an existing driver's licence and a knowledge test, eyesight test and skills and driving test must be completed with an accredited heavy vehicle training and test provider:

Access more information from VicRoads:

VicRoads publishes the Victorian handbook for bus and truck drivers:

The National Transport Commission also publishes a bus operator handbook:

Exemptions from using seat belts

A medical practitioner can issue a driver and/or passenger an exemption from wearing a seat belt in certain circumstances. Such exemptions must be produced for police or authorised officers to inspect when requested.

An exemption certificate should be dated and issued on the medical practitioner's letterhead and state:

  • the person's name, address, sex and date of birth
  • the reason an exemption is issued
  • the date it expires (expiry date should not exceed one year from the date of issue except for musculo-skeletal conditions/deformities of a permanent nature).

More information is available from VicRoads:

Licence conditions

Examples of conditions that can be applied to licences include:

  • glasses or corrective lenses
  • driver aids or modifications – applied if specific driver aids or vehicle modifications are required to drive e.g. left foot accelerator, hand controls or need to wear prosthesis
  • automatic transmission – applied during Probationary period when driver passed driving test on an automatic vehicle.

Vicroads provides more information:

Permits and certificates

Types of permits and certificates community service organisations may need to obtain include:

  • parking including disabled persons' parking permits
  • Melbourne CityLink e-TAGs or passes.

Disabled parking permits

Victoria's Disabled Persons' Parking Scheme includes two categories of permits and VicRoads provides detailed information about eligibility, applying and other procedures:

Permits can be obtained for a driver or passenger with a disability and an organisation providing a transport service for people with disabilities. Disabled parking permits are available from local councils and Victoria Online provides links to information:

Melbourne CityLink e-TAGs or passes

Community service organisations may need to create CityLink accounts for fleet vehicles regularly driven within or to and from Melbourne. There is a minimum payment per year for each e-TAG but e-TAGs can be swapped between vehicles. Passes are also available for infrequent CityLink users.

Access information about CityLink:


Staff of organisations funded by the Department of Human Services, Department of Health or Department of Education and Early Childhood Development can access a sample 'Licenced driver declaration form' from the Resources section of My Agency. This form is for an employee to declare that they have a current and valid driving licence and that they acknowledge liability for any infringement issued while using a fleet vehicle.

Related links


Supported by the Community Sector Investment Fund (external link - opens in a new window).