Skip to main content
Victorian government website
State Government of Victoria, Australia
Funded Agency Channel

Insurance and worker's compensation

Medical costs for an accident are paid for by the Transport Accident Commission regardless of who was at fault. Third Party Insurance with Transport Accident Commission is compulsory for all motor vehicles and is paid annually at the same time as vehicle registration. It does not cover damage to vehicles or property:

Third party property insurance covers legal liability for property damage caused by the use of a vehicle. It can also provide limited cover for a vehicle where the accident wasn’t the driver’s fault and the other driver was uninsured.

Comprehensive car insurance offers comprehensive cover for accidents.

More information:

  •  Insurance
    Information about types of insurance, where to obtain insurance, getting the best deal, accidents and claims, disputes, and volunteer and staff vehicles.


Some insurers allow limited emergency repairs if the vehicle is not able to driven. With most policies the vehicle is taken to an assessment centre to be repaired. Permission may need to be granted when an insurance policy is taken out to use another preferred repairer.

WorkCover claims

The Victorian WorkCover Authority provides the following instructions when workplace injuries occur including injuries resulting from motor vehicle accidents:

  • You, or someone on your behalf, must report - in writing - any work-related injury or condition to your employer within 30 days of becoming aware of it.
  • If you do not report the injury or condition in writing within 30 days of becoming aware of it, you may not be entitled to compensation.
  • Your employer must let you know - in writing - that they have been notified of your injury or condition.
  • If your injury resulted from an accident involving a motor vehicle within the meaning of the Road Safety Act 1986, this claim is deemed not to have been made unless a report of the accident has been made to the police. The definition of “motor vehicle” in the Road Safety Act 1986 refers to vehicles which are used or intended to be used on a highway or in a public place which have their own motive power. This would include any car, truck, motorbike, bus, registered tractor, registered forklift, etc. Trains, trams and motorised wheelchairs are excluded.

Further information is available from WorkSafe Victoria:

Supported by the Community Sector Investment Fund (external link - opens in a new window).