Access and planning

A person with a disability, like any member of the community, is able to access a range of general services including community health, early childhood and education services, sport and recreation, maternal and child health services, and other community services.  The Department of Human Services (DHS) also funds a range of specialist disability supports that are available to people with a disability, and their families, to help the person with a disability actively participate in the community and reach their full potential.  Specialist supports may be provided directly by the Department of Human Services or by community service organisations funded by the department.

You can request disability supports from the Department or a community service organisation if:

  • you have a disability,
  • the disability impacts on your mobility, communication, self-care or self-management,
  • your support request meets specific requirements related to the service you are seeking.

The Intake and Response Service provides information about supports and services for people with disabilities, their families and carers in their local area.  Intake and Response also support people to plan what they need to meet their needs, and explore how informal support provided by family and friends may be complemented by community and specialist supports.

To make an enquiry about disability support contact Intake and Response on 1800 783 783.

Contact information

Intake and Response
Tel: 1800 783 783.

Request more information about this topic.

For more information:

Contact us.

Service Directory

Search the site