Registration of out-of-home carers
The Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services is required to keep a register of out-of-home carers.
This requirement is specified under part 3.4 of the Children Youth and Families Act 2005 (the Act).
The objective is to improve the safety and wellbeing of Victorian children and young people in out-of-home care through the registration of persons approved, employed or engaged as out-of-home carers.
The Act also requires that organisations and other registered out-of-home care services:
- undertake a Disqualified Carer Check on all prospective out-of-home carers prior to approving the person as a foster carer or employing or engaging a person as a residential carer or a provider of services to children in the residential facility (section 120)
- register a carer in the Carer Register within 14 days of being approved as foster carer or employed or engaged as residential carer or provider of services (section 78)
- revoke a carer’s registration in the Carer Register within 14 days of ceasing to be a carer (section 79).
Failure to undertake a Disqualified Carer Check may result in the organisation or registered out-of-home care service being penalised under the provisions of section 120 of the Act.
Organisations and other registered out-of-home care services are reviewed by the Department of Health and Human Services (the department) to ensure that legislative requirements are being met.
Who needs to be registered on the Carer Register?
- foster carers
- residential carers - all staff including permanent, part-time, casual and temporary agency staff
- providers of services to children at an out-of-home care residence managed by the service.
What is the Carer Register?
The Carer Register is a web based application used by organisations and other out-of-home care services to undertake Disqualified Carer Checks and to register carers.
The Carer Register does not require any installation by individuals or agencies.
The department provides organisations and other registered out-of-home care services with access to the Carer Register, and supports the use of the Carer Register by providing training and help-desk support.
- What you need to know about carer registration requirements (Word, 64.5 KB)
This information sheet provides an overview of the carer registration requirements and compliance with the Children, Youth and Families Act 2005.
- Getting a Disqualified Carer Check after-hours (Word, 60.7 KB)
This information sheet steps through the process of how to get a Disqualified Carer Check after-hours.
- Carer registration requirements (PPT, 236.8 KB)
This PowerPoint presentation provides an overview of the carer registration requirements and steps through the registration process of an out-of-home carer.
- Disqualified Carer Check and registration requirements - checklist of questions and considerations (Word, 53.6 KB)
This is a checklist of questions and considerations to assist with meeting the Disqualified Carer Check and registration requirements.
For information about getting access to the Carer Register, Disqualified Carer Checks or registering carers:
- call the Carer Register Team on (03) 9096 8690 or
- email email@example.com
For assistance with your Carer Register log-in, issues with accessing the Carer Register or other related technical issues:
- call the Carer Register Helpdesk on (03) 9096 7853 or
- email ECRSystems.Administrator@dhs.vic.gov.au
For Safety screening and labour hire requirements for funded agencies, visit Safety screening for funded organisations.