- Home Owner & Renter Support
- Disability Financial Support
- Funding and Grants - Disability
- Carer Support
- Application Forms
Medical Cooling Concession
The Medical Cooling Concession provides a 17.5 per cent discount on summer electricity costs for cardholders where a member of the family has a medical condition that affects the body’s ability to regulate temperature. This concession is available from 1 November to 30 April each year.
The concession is given in addition to the Annual Electricity Concession.
Qualifying conditions include:
- multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson’s disease
- post-polio syndrome/poliomyelitis
- motor neurone disease.
Applications for other conditions must be approved by the Department of Health & Human Services.
The Medical Cooling Concession fact sheet is available to download on this site.
You must hold at least one of the following concession cards:
Holders of a Health Care Card for Carer Allowance and Foster Care issued in the name of the child are not eligible. Holders of Veterans' Affairs Gold Cards marked 'Dependent' are not eligible.
How to apply
Applications are available from your electricity retailer, by contacting the Concessions Information Line on 1800 658 521 (toll-free), or can be downloaded from the link below.
The application form needs to be completed and signed by your doctor confirming your medical condition. Once completed, forward the form to your electricity retailer.
Your electricity retailer will check your concession card details with Centrelink and apply the discount to your bill.
Frequently asked questions
- Do I need to get my doctor's OK to apply for the medical cooling concession?
- Do I need to sign and date the form as well?
- How much is the medical cooling concession?
- I have a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card, do I qualify for the medical cooling concession?
- I suffer from a condition which affects my ability to regulate my temperature. What are my entitlements?
- Where do I send my form to apply for the medical cooling concession?
Contact the Victorian Concessions Information Line on 1800 658 521.