Public transport concession

Many passengers are eligible for concession fares and special entitlements on public transport. Concession tickets cost around half the full fare and are available for most ticket types.

Some passengers will need to apply for a special myki and/or carry a specially issued card which provides proof of concession eligibility on public transport.

Children aged three years and under may travel free on public transport in Victoria, but they must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.

Children aged 16 years and younger can travel with a child myki or buy concession V/Line tickets without needing proof of concession. Primary and Secondary students who travel regularly on public transport may be eligible for discounted yearly and half-yearly tickets.

Students aged 17 and over must carry a valid concession card (a Victorian Health Care Card or Victorian Public Transport Concession Card) in order to travel with a concession myki or purchase concession V/line tickets. A school issued student ID is not considered proof of concession.

Holders of the following cards are eligible for concession fares:

  • Health Care Card
  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Victorian Public Transport Student Concession Card
  • Victorian Seniors Card
  • Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card
  • Victorian Public Transport Asylum Seeker Concession Card.

Those listed on a Health Care Card or Pensioner Concession Card as a dependant (including spouse), are not eligible for concession fares unless they have another concession card issued in their own name or are under 17 years of age.

How to apply

Present your eligible card when purchasing a myki or on request. 

Contact Public Transport Victoria on:

Phone: 1800 800 007


More information

For information on public transport concessions:

Public Transport Victorian website

Concessions Information Line: 1800 658 521

Request more information about this topic.

For more information:

Contact us.

Service Directory

Search the site