Access to disability supports

Intake and response service

The Intake and Response Service provides information about supports and services and can also provide assistance with planning and short-term support to people with disabilities, their families and carers in their local area.

Who can get assistance?

People with a disability, their family or carers can request disability supports.

You can request disability supports if:

  • you have a disability
  • the disability impacts on your mobility, communication, self-care or self-management
  • your support request meets specific requirements related to the service you are seeking.

It is important to remember that the supports available from the department may not always be suitable. For example, a person with a chronic health issue may have their needs better met through health services.

You may get assistance if you meet the criteria as determined under the Disability Act 2006. This Act is available from Victorian Legislation and Parliamentary Documents (Go to Victorian Law Today then Search, Acts and use the key word Disability).

What will the department’s Disability Intake and Response service need to know?

They will ask you a range of questions to determine access, as well as more general questions about your circumstances and why you are requesting disability supports now. They will also ask you about any supports you may already be using, including funded or informal supports, such as help from family members.

If your needs can be better met by a community service, they will provide you with contact information for the service. If you need specialist disability supports, they will explain the next steps to you, which may include assessment and a referral to a planner or case manager who will work with you to explore a range of ways your needs can be met.

Do I get a say in what kind of supports I receive?

The department uses a self-directed approach to disability supports. This means you and your family will be supported to plan what you need to meet your goals and decide how the supports will be managed.

Where can I find out more?

To make an enquiry or for more information about disability support, you or a person who supports you can contact the departments Disability Intake and Response Service.

Telephone: 1800 783 783 or TTY 1800 008 149 between 9.00am–5.00pm Monday to Friday.

If you would like an interpreter you can call the Translating and Interpreting Service on 13 14 50 and be connected to the relevant Intake and Response Service telephone number.

If you are Deaf, have a hearing impairment or complex communication needs you can contact your your local Disability Intake and Response Service on TTY 1800 008 149, or the National Relay Service on 13 36 77, or Speech-to-Speech Relay Service on 1300 555 727. Ask to be connected to your local Intake and Response Service telephone number. 


You can download information sheets in PDF and Word formats from the links below. The information sheets are also available in Arabic, Chinese, Croatian, Greek, Italian, Macedonian, Russian, Serbian, Turkish and Vietnamese:

If you need alternative formats of the documents, or you are having trouble downloading attachments, please contact the department by email.

Further support

Information about community supports and services for people with disabilities, their families and carers is available from a range of outlets including:

Request more information about this topic.

For more information:

Contact us.

Service Directory

Search the site