Carer and family support

This section offers information on the different types of supports available for families of children with a disability and carers of adults with a disability.

Disability Services supports

The following supports are funded by the Victorian Government and are provided in partnership with community service providers or directly by Department of Human Services staff.

Respite support provides short-term breaks for carers of people with a disability and families. Short-term breaks can be overnight, or during the day, breaks can be in-home, in residential settings, with another family, out in the community or other flexible arrangements.

Flexible Support Packages provide a range of supports for people with a disability and their families.

Individual Support Packages provide flexible funding, based on planning, to suit the particular needs of people with a disability.

Family Options provides short term and long term alternative family placements for people with a disability who are unable to live with their own family.

Need supports?

The department can assist you to get the supports you need to enable you to fulfill your plans for the future. These supports may be available in your local community or funded by the Victorian Government.

Want to change your current supports?

If you are currently receiving Disability Services supports and you want to change the types of supports you have, contact the Disability Intake and Response Service for advice and information.

Contact information

Disability Intake and Response Service
1800 783 783
TTY 1800 008 149
Email Disability Information & Support

Request more information about this topic.

For more information:

Contact us.

Service Directory

Search the site