Reporting child abuse

Meeting the needs of children and making sure they are safe in the family is a shared responsibility between individuals, the family, the community and the government. When adults caring for children do not follow through with their responsibilities, are abusive or exploit their positions of power, then it is the child protection system that becomes responsible for taking action.

Who to contact in an emergency

  • For concerns that are life threatening, call Victoria Police 000.
  • For concerns about the immediate safety of a child after hours or on weekends or public holidays, call the After Hours Child Protection Emergency Service on 131 278 - toll free for all Victoria.

Other emergency contacts

  • Statewide CASA Crisis Line after business hours weekdays, weekends and public holidays - Tel: (03) 9344 2210 or Rural Free Call: 1800 806 292.
  • Domestic Violence and Incest Resource Centre - Tel: (03) 9486 9866.

When it is not an emergency

If it is not an emergency, but you are concerned that a child may be harmed from abuse by their parents or caregivers, then you can discuss your concerns with a regional Child Protection worker during office hours.

Reports of child abuse cannot be accepted through this website or via email.

Contact Information

Victoria Police
Ph: 000

After Hours Child Protection Emergency Service
Ph: 131 278 (5.00pm - 9.00am Monday - Friday, 24 hours on weekends and public holidays)

CASA Crisis Line
Ph: (03) 9344 2210
Ph: 1800 806 292 - Rural free call

Domestic Violence & Incest Resource Centre
Ph: (03) 9486 9866

Request more information about this topic.

For more information:

Contact us.

Service Directory

Search the site