Personal Hardship Assistance Program

The department provides financial assistance after emergencies to help ease financial hardship experienced by eligible people, as a result of an emergency.

This assistance is not intended to replace insurance or other compensation for loss.

Emergency relief assistance

Emergency relief assistance is available for up to seven days after an emergency event if you are unable to access or live in your home, because of the emergency.

Payments are intended to help in the immediate aftermath of the emergency with expenses incurred in meeting health, safety and wellbeing needs such as food, clothing, medications, and accommodation.

Emergency re-establishment assistance

In some situations, the Victorian Government may also offer emergency re-establishment assistance payments. This payment is available if your home is uninhabitable for more than seven days because of an emergency.

This assistance is income-tested and will help towards re-establishing you back in your own home as quickly as possible. Payments can be used to help towards alternative accommodation, removal of debris, home repairs, reconnection of essential services, rebuilding and replacement of essential household contents.

The total maximum payment is $40,000 per household.

Getting emergency financial assistance

Download transcript

Other forms of assistance

In some circumstances, the Victorian or Australian governments may offer other personal hardship assistance or support. Information will be available at relief centres.

Further information

For more information about the Personal Hardship Assistance Program, please contact the VicEmergency hotline on 1800 226 226 in the first instance who will refer your case to a Personal Hardship Assistance Program Officer in the department for an assessment interview.

Download fact sheets

Request more information about this topic.

For more information:

Contact us.

Service Directory

Search the site