Freedom of information

The Freedom of Information Unit is responsible for processing Freedom of Information requests from both the Department of Human Services and the Department of Health.

The Freedom of Information Act 1982 gives people a right of access to information held by State Government Ministers and agencies. These agencies include but are not limited to:

  • state government departments
  • councils and prescribed authorities such as:
    • statutory authorities
    • public hospitals
    • community health centres
    • universities, and
    • TAFE colleges and schools.

Some bodies are exempt from the Freedom of Information process, for example, the Courts.

Documents held by Department of Human Services

This Department covers the responsibilities of:

  • child protection
  • wardship
  • disability
  • housing
  • womens affairs
  • youth affairs.

If you are seeking access to Wardship records dating prior to 1986, Family Information Networks and Discovery (FIND) can assist you.

Documents held by Department of Health

This Department covers the responsibilities of:

  • health
  • ageing 
  • mental health.

You have a right to apply for access to information held by the Departments including, but not limited to, the following documents:

  • Documents relating to your own personal affairs
  • Documents of a non-personal nature which are not older than 5 July 1978.

Examples of personal documents held by the departments can include:

  • Ward of the State/Child Protection files
  • Disability Services client files
  • Public Housing.

Access to requested information may be refused in certain circumstances, in line with the principles of the Freedom of Information Act. This information is called 'exempt' and can include documents which:

  • affect the personal affairs of another person
  • are commercially confidential
  • concern law enforcement
  • contain information supplied in confidence.

Contact information

Freedom of Information reception
Tel: (03) 9096 8449

Request more information about this topic.

For more information:

Contact Us

Service Directory

Search the site