- Communication with Community Organisations
- Publications for Community Organisations
- Setting up a Not for Profit Organisation
- Workforce Capability Tools
- Community foundations
- Business and the community sector
- Governance for Community Organisations
- Strategic Business Planning
- Finance for Community Organisations
- Technology for Community Organisations
- Evaluation for Community Organisations
- Common Funding Agreement
- Legislative Reform
- National Standard Chart of Accounts
In this page:
A community foundation is an independent philanthropic organisation working in a specific geographic area.
Community foundations are dedicated to strengthening local communities, creating opportunities and tackling issues of disadvantage and exclusion.
The foundation attracts tax deductible donations to its Public Fund and builds a capital base known as a corpus - a fund of money invested in perpetuity. This provides a permanent and growing source of funding with the income earned each year being returned to the community as annual grants to deductible gift recipients or other tax deductible entities. In addition, the community foundation through the charitable company or trust can support wider charitable purposes.
Community Foundations Funding Program
The Community Foundations Funding Program (2009 to 2013) was a grants and capacity building program to support community foundations across Victoria. It successfully built the profile, grant making and governance capacity of all 12 community foundations involved.
The Office for the Community Sector (now called the Centre for Community Services System Development) funded the program and also developed a series of videos which document a range of aspects of community foundation development and operation. There are also 10 written case studies on different approaches used by community foundations to build a corpus.
Video- Introduction to community foundations
What are community foundations all about? How do they operate? What distinguishes community foundations from other philanthropic organisations? Hear from key players in Victorian community foundations about how community foundations support local communities.
More videos and publications
- Community foundations - board creation
- Community foundations - fundraising - the ask
- Community foundations - fundraising partnerships
- Community foundations - fundraising strategy
- Community foundations - grant recipients
- Community foundations - grantmaking
- Community foundations - structure
- Funds Development for Community Foundations 1 July 2013 (PDF 300.1 KB)
- Funds Development for Community Foundations 1 July 2013 (doc 72.5 KB)
- Ballarat Foundation
- Bass Coast Community Foundation
- Bendigo and Central Victoria Community Foundation
- Border Trust
- Frankston Community Fund
- Geelong Community Foundation
- Give Where You Live Foundation Geelong
- Hobsons Bay Community Fund
- Inner North Community Foundation
- Kingston Charitable Fund
- South West Community Foundation
- Tomorrow: Today Foundation Benalla