Skip to content
Victorian Government Website (Victoria, the Place to Be)
Department of Human Services, Victoria, Australia
Victorian Bushfire Appeal Fund

Victorian Bushfire Appeal Fund

Tenant Contents Payment (including boarders) -

Rehousing and Recovery

Am I eligible?

You are eligible for the Rehousing and Recovery - Tenant Contents Payment if you are the tenant whose primary place of residence was destroyed as a result of the 2009 Victorian Bushfires.

This Payment is to assist tenants to replace their contents where their property was destroyed.

You are not eligible for this payment if you are a Landlord.

You are not eligible for this payment if your property was damaged.

The Victorian Bushfire Appeal Fund has been working with local government and the Victorian Bushfire Recovery & Reconstruction Authority to identify and confirm all destroyed properties.

What assistance is available?

If you are eligible for the Rehousing and Recovery - Tenant Contents Payment you will receive a lump sum of $15,000.

Only one payment will be made for each property.

Payments will be made to your nominated bank account, please talk to the Victorian Bushfire Appeal Fund if you require alternative arrangements.

What if the property was a shared household?

In these instances the Applicant/household has two payment options:

Option 1: Payment is made to the Applicant on behalf of all household members;

Option 2: Payment is split across household members.

All members of the household over the age of 16 are required to complete the Payment Option on the Application form and sign to acknowledge their agreement to the payment option for the household.

Boarders - clarification

For those people who rented a single room in a property, rather than the whole residence, assistance is available.

A $5,000 grant is available to boarders who rented a room in a property that was destroyed in the bushfires.

This is payable per individual/couple, regardless of the number of people occupying a room. The property must have been the boarders principle place of residence.

To be eligible, individuals must be independent boarders and not an immediate family member of the landlord - this includes children, parents and grandparents.

Assistance for immediate family members is provided through the Rehousing & Recovery - Destroyed Homes payment.

How do I claim?

To claim the Rehousing and Recovery - Tenant Contents Payment, you will need to complete the Tenant Contents Payment application form (PDF, 107kb) and include all supporting documentation.

What information do I need to provide?

The Government recognises the extraordinary circumstances that families are facing and will work with individuals to ensure that any necessary information can be obtained in a flexible and sensitive manner.

The Government will need to reasonably establish:

  • proof of identity for all occupants on the application form
  • proof that the fire affected address was the primary place of residence for all occupants on the application form
  • that the applicants were the tenants of the fire affected address
  • that the property was destroyed as a result of the 2009 Victorian Bushfires.

Proof of identity can include:

  • passport
  • drivers licence, Key Pass or other photographic identification
  • marriage certificate
  • birth certificate
  • concession card.

Proof of primary address may include:

  • drivers licence with fire affected address
  • bank statement
  • utilities bill or statement.

Proof of tenancy may include:

  • tenancy agreement
  • letter from landlord or home owner.

Any applicant found to provide information of a fraudulent nature may be liable to prosecution and will be required to repay the grant.

Who can witness a statutory declaration?

People authorised to witness statutory declarations include lawyers, police, pharmacists, school principals, ministers of religion, bank managers, doctors, vets and Housing Services Officers.

If you require assistance with getting your statutory declaration witnesses please contact the Victorian Bushfire Appeal Fund on 1800 180 213.

How long do I have to claim?

Applications for this Gift have now closed.

For further information

For further information or advice on this payment, please contact the Victorian Bushfire Appeal Fund on 1800 180 213, or via e-mail on