Placement and Support Frequently Asked Questions

How do I become a Foster Carer?

Foster care is provided to children unable to live at home due to risk of abuse and neglect. Children are placed with appropriate caregivers who are assessed, trained and supervised by a community services organisation.

The majority of children referred to foster care services are the subject of protective services intervention. A small percentage of clients enter the system on a voluntary basis, that is, with no involvement from the Department of Human Services (DHS).

The Centre for Excellence in Child and Family Welfare is a provider of Foster Care and other services.

What is Residential Care?

Residential Care is an out-of-home care placement service for children at risk of abuse and neglect. Residential units are operated by community service organisations. The majority of children referred to residential care services are on Children's Court Protection Orders.

Request more information about this topic.

For more information:

Contact us.