In scope organisations for child safe standards

Victoria introduced compulsory minimum standards (under the Child Wellbeing and Safety Act 2005) that apply to organisations that provide services for children to help ensure the safety of children.

This page includes a list of in scope organisations for the Child Safe Standards.

Category 1: 1 January 2016 commencement (Phase 1)

  • registered schools (government and non-government)
  • approved education and care services (e.g. kindergartens, after hours care services)
  • children’s services (e.g. occasional care providers)
  • an organisation which provides Early Childhood Intervention Services
  • Maternal and Child Health Centres
  • organisations registered or accredited to provide senior secondary education and training
  • registered overseas student exchange organisations
  • approved education and training organisations providing courses to students from overseas 
  • out-of-home care services
  • child protection services
  • family violence or sexual assault services
  • housing services and homeless services
  • youth services
  • support services for parents and families
  • public and denominational hospitals, public health services, private hospitals, multipurpose services, day procedure centres and registered community health services
  • drug or alcohol treatment services
  • designated mental health services and publicly funded mental health community support services
  • government departments and agencies providing services to children (including youth justice and corrective services)
  • local councils 
  • disability services providers.

Category 2: 1 January 2017 commencement (Phase 2)

  • religious bodies, including churches
  • residential facilities of boarding schools and student hostels
  • cultural, sport or recreation services for children
  • counselling or other support services for children
  • charities and not-for-profit organisations providing services to children
  • coaching or tuition services for children
  • entertainment or party services for children
  • commercial or publicly funded transport services for children
  • gym or play facilities for children
  • photography services for children
  • talent or beauty competitions in which children participate
  • overnight camps for children
  • professional babysitting services
  • organisations which employ a child for whom a permit is required under the Child Employment Act 2003
  • post-school education and training providers, including TAFE institutes and universities
  • youth organisations (such as Scouts or Girl Guides)
  • schools other than registered schools (such as swimming schools, dance schools)
  • disability service providers other than those registered under the Disability Act 2006 (such as TAC funded providers).
Request more information about this topic.

For more information:

Contact us.