Disability residential notices to vacate

In situation where community residential unit (CRU) resident create disruption for other residents, within the context of the overall capacity of the residential service to meet the needs of all residents, the disability service provider will need to issue a formal notice of the intention to move the resident.

Rather than simply evicting a resident, the Act includes provision for the issuing of a Notice of temporary relocation that allows time for an appropriate review, assessment and planning aimed at satisfying the support and residency rights of all concerned. In this situation, the resident will be placed in an alternative residential service for a defined period while the review takes place.

If, after the period of temporary relocation, the situation cannot be resolved or the alternative arrangement has proven to be more suitable, the disability service provider may then issue a Notice to vacate. Disability service providers must not issue successive notices of temporary relocation.

A notice to vacate may be appealed in the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT).



Any of the notices included in this section can be withdrawn at any time before the resident vacates the room. Withdrawal advice must be in writing.


Request more information about this topic.

For more information:

Contact us.